President Donald Trump on Thursday said he’s backing off of a tweet that called his press secretary “failing” in the wake of the mass shooting at a Florida movie theater.
“I just want to let you know that the press is failing us,” Trump said in a tweet.
“My statement today was a response to what happened in Orlando.
It was not an apology.”
Trump also said in the tweet that “the press is so dishonest,” and that “I don’t know if I will get another shot at this.”
Trump’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In the tweet, Trump’s deputy press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, called the president’s tweets a “political stunt” and said it was “very unfortunate that he would make such a statement.”
Trump on Thursday tweeted that the “press is failing” the administration.
Trump is the president of the United States and the media is “a failing class,” he tweeted.
The tweets came after the shooting at an Orlando gay nightclub where 49 people were killed and 53 others were wounded.
The gunman, Omar Mateen, had been investigated by the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security and was found not to be a threat, but the department later reopened its investigation.
The shooter also used an AR-15 assault rifle that was legally purchased and purchased with a military-style assault weapon that was legal on the National Firearms Act list of firearms, according to a senior law enforcement official.